When No Discussion Guide is Available - Memoir
Memoir Discussion Questions
1. For the person who chose this book: What made you want to read it? What made you suggest it to the group for discussion? Did it live up to your expectations? Why or why not?
2. What do you think motivated the author to share his or her life story? How did you respond to the author's "voice"?
3. Do you think the author is trying to elicit a certain response from the reader, such as sympathy? How has this book changed or enhanced your view of the author?
4. Discuss the book's structure and the author's use of language and writing style. How does the author draw the reader in and keep the reader engaged? Does the author convey his or her story with comedy, self-pity, or something else?
5. Were there any instances in which you felt the author was not being truthful? How did you react to these sections?
6. What is the author's most admirable quality? Is this someone you would want to know or have known?
7. Compare this book to other memoirs your group has read. Is it similar to any of them? Did you like it more or less than other books you've read? What do you think will be your lasting impression of the book?
8. What did you like or dislike about the book that hasn't been discussed already? Were you glad you read this book? Would you recommend it to a friend? Do you want to read more works by this author?