by Mary Kay Andrews
Welcome to the world of Mary Kay Andrews, where manners are polished, reputations are tarnished ... and revenge is sweet.
Keeley Murdock's wedding to A. J. Jernigan should have been the social event of the season. But when she catches her fiance doing the deed with her maid of honor at the country club rehearsal dinner, all bets are off. And so is the wedding. Keeley pitches the hissy fit of the century, earning herself instant notoriety in the small town of Madison, Georgia.
Even worse is the financial pressure A.J.'s banking family brings to bear on Keeley's interior design business. But riding to the rescue -- in a vintage yellow Cadillac -- is the redheaded stranger who's purchased a failing local bra plant. Will Mahoney hires Keeley to redo the derelict antebellum mansion he's bought. Her assignment: decorate it for the woman of his dreams -- a woman he's never met.
Only a designing woman like Keeley Murdock can find a way to clear her name and give her cheating varmint of an ex-fiance the comeuppance he so richly deserves. And only Mary Kay Andrews can deliver such delicious social satire. With Hissy Fit, she's created a story as outrageous, dishy, and true as Savannah Blues and Little Bitty Lies.
top of the page
1. What do you think of Keeley's reaction to her fiance's behavior at their engagement party? Does she do the right thing? How would you react in a similar situation?
2. Do you find it surprising that Will Mahoney is so determined to impress a woman he's never met? Why?
3. Is the picture that Mary Kay Andrews paints of life and business in a small town a realistic one?
4. When Keeley gets underneath the facades of some people she's known all her life, what does she discover? What does this novel say about how well we ever really know each other?
5. What part do antiques play in this story? Are Keeley's questions about her own past reflected in her search for enduring old furnishings and her wish to create beautiful homes for her clients?
6. Do you feel any sympathy for A.J.? Does he get the comeuppance he deserves? Does Stephanie?
7. What secrets does Keeley unearth in her search to find out about her mother's disappearance?
8. The novel, which begins with a broken engagement, ends with a wedding. Is the identity of the happy couple a surprise?
top of the page