by Mary Kay Andrews
Gina Foxton doesn't expect anything to be handed to her. The former runner-up Miss Teen Vidalia Onion is now the host of her own Georgia public television cooking show, and she's dating the show's producer. But when her show gets canceled, and she finds out her boyfriend has been unfaithful, Gina realizes that she's meant for better things.
The Cooking Channel is searching for its next big star, and Gina is certain that she fits the bill. Trouble is, the execs also have their eyes on "Kill It and Grill It" Tate Moody, the star of a hunting, fishing, and cooking show named Vittles. Tate is the ultimate man's man, with a dog named Moonpie and a penchant for flannel shirts. He's also a tasty side of beef with a swooning female fan base. Gina and Tate are soon to embark on the cook-off of their lives, spiced up by a little ingredient called love.
top of the page
1. Why does Scott Zaleski's infidelity imperil Gina Foxton's job at Fresh Start? Based on his behavior, how genuine is Scott's remorse for his actions?
2. How does the strong sibling bond between Gina and Lisa relate to their feelings for their domineering mother, Birdelle?
3. How does D'John accidental sabotage of Gina's hair enable her to embrace a new self-image? How would you react in a similar scenario?
4. Of the many recipes and dishes described in Deep Dish, which was your favorite and why?
5. What individual roles do Iris and Inez play in manipulating the winner of the Food Fight contest?
6. As an important (if non-verbal) character in Deep Dish, Moonpie plays an important role. What is it?
7. How do the frustrations of filming a reality TV show on a remote island contribute to bringing Gina and Tate together romantically?
8. How does the author's use of humor and satire in the novel impact your appreciation of the plot of Deep Dish?
9. To what extent does Gina's inability to commit to Tate seem grounded in her own insecurities?
10. What does Tate's willingness to wait for Gina to come around and recognize his love for her and her own feelings for him reveal about his character?
top of the page