Questions for ReadingGroupGuides.com Bookseller Interview:
Each month on ReadingGroupGuides.com we'll be featuring interviews with booksellers from across the country. If you'd like to share your knowledge and opinions about book clubs with our readers, the questions we'd like answered are listed below.
Please feel free to go beyond these questions and share with us anything about books clubs --- ones that meet in your store, of which you're a member or ones that you've heard about --- that you think might interest our readers. When answering these questions, please keep in mind that our readers love to know what other groups are reading, so the more titles you include, the better!
A couple of things that will make our lives easier:
- Please copy and paste the questions into a new email and post your replies below them so we are clear in what question you are responding to (it can get confusing sometimes).
Please note that our book club interviews are updated monthly along with our regular ReadingGroupGuides.com update.
- Include your FULL name and email address after the questions/answers, in case we need to clarify anything.
1. Does your store host any book clubs? If so, are they based on a certain theme or genre (ie, mystery)? How often do the groups meet?
2. How many members are in each group? How many men, how many women? What ages are most of the members? Are the groups open to accepting new members?
3. Who leads the book discussions? Are reading group discussion guides used?
4. How are books selected? Is a new one chosen at each meeting, or are they chosen for a number of meetings ahead of time?
5. What were some of the best discussions or favorite books the groups have read?
6. How are book club meetings kept interesting and fun?
7. What advice would you give to other bookstores that would like to start hosting book clubs, or provide resources for ones in the community?
8. What general advice would you give to book club members? Any specific ideas for making reading selections?
9. How can book clubs better utilize resources at their local bookstores?
10. Does your store offer anything special for book clubs?
11. Do you have any horror stories, amusing anecdotes, or other tales to tell that you have heard from book clubs?
12. Is there anything else unique or noteworthy about book clubs (either ones that meet in your store or ones that you know of) that you would like to share?
13. Are you a member of a book club? If so, what do you enjoy most about the experience from a reader's perspective? Does being in a book club enable you to better suggest both titles and discussion ideas to reading groups?
14. What books currently on your shelves are you interested in sharing with book groups?
15. What galleys and advance reader's editions that are in your store right now are you interested in sharing with book groups?
16. Finally, please include your name, city and state with your reply, as well as your email address. Occasionally we get requests from the press or from book clubs who would like to talk to booksellers. Are you the appropriate person to do this for your store?
Email your answers to
when you are finished. Thank you for sharing your knowledge and opinions with us!