Skip to main content

Blog

March 21, 2008

The Book Club Queen Hits The Road --- As An Author

Posted by carol
Tagged:
Kathy L. Patrick is the owner of Beauty and the Book, the only Hair Salon/Bookstore in the country located in historic Jefferson, Texas. She also is founder of The Pulpwood Queens Book Club, which is the largest "meeting and discussing" book club in the world.
March 18, 2008

You Don't Have to Like the Book

Posted by carol
Tagged:
I met Debra Linn a year ago when I was in Miami when she asked me to speak at a Book Club Mixer that Books & Books, one of my favorite bookstores, was hosting in Coral Gables. I leapt at the opportunity and found myself part of a fabulously fun afternoon with close to 200 book club members.
March 12, 2008

How the Internet Has Changed Book Clubs

Posted by carol
Tagged:
Jennifer Hart loves book clubs. She is in two book clubs and writes a terrific blog called bookclubgirl.com. We get together whenever possible to talk books, book clubs and life. We have shared time on panels and at conferences and I always find these conversations enlightening. Her comments here are spot on about how the internet enhances the book club experience.
March 11, 2008

Not Your High School Classics Discussion

Posted by carol
Tagged:
After our meeting this month, the members of my book club agreed: we had one of our best discussions in a long time, if not in our 12-year history. The book that elicited such an enthusiastic response? The House of Mirth, Edith Wharton's breakout 1905 novel about a well-to-do young woman who, after losing both of her parents and the family fortune, finds herself dependent on the benevolence of rich friends to remain in high society.
March 6, 2008

Taking A Book Club on the Road

Posted by carol
Tagged:
Since 2002, Gina Wyszynski and the Chicks Picks Book Club from Houston, Texas, have made it an annual tradition to take a reading group getaway, and in this blog posting she shares some stories about their travels. Whether the destination ties in with a book's theme or is simply a fun, new backdrop for a discussion, as Gina and her fellow members have discovered, a change of scenery can be a book club boost.---Carol Fitzgerald
March 4, 2008

From English Teacher to Book Group Facilitator

Posted by carol
Tagged:
I had the pleasure of meeting Esther Bushell last fall at a luncheon that was held for Alan Drew, the author of Gardens of Water. She told me that she was a longtime reader of both ReadingGroupGuides.com and Bookreporter.com.
Avideh Bashirrad is a "book person" whose recommendations I trust. She knows my taste and when she hand selects me a book from her list at Random House, I know I am going to enjoy it. We all know people like this. One day when we were having lunch she told me about a book group that she had started over at Hearst publications. Knowing that this was an idea that could translate for many of our readers I asked her to do a column about it.
February 29, 2008

View from a Small (AKA Tiny) Resort Bookstore

Posted by carol
Tagged:
A few years ago when I was vacationing on the Outer Banks I stopped by Duck's Cottage, a small bookstore/coffeeshop in Duck, North Carolina. I told Jamie Layton, one of the store's managers, that I like to frequent bookstores when I travel as I own a company that has a number of websites about books. She shared that one of her favorite websites was ReadingGroupGuides.com, not knowing that it was one in The Book Report Network.
February 25, 2008

Men and Books: Who Doesn't Read?

Posted by carol
Tagged:
One of the questions that I am asked most is about men and book clubs. Are they in book clubs? And WHAT do they read?
February 19, 2008

Today's Librarian: Concierge to Readers

Posted by carol
Tagged:
Today's post is from Nora Rawlinson who recently started a website for collection development and readers advisory librarians called EarlyWord.com. When we decided to do this blog, Nora was one of the first people who I reached out to and asked to become a regular contributor. She has been "my" personal advisor on the library market and over the years she has given me intros to some truly wonderful librarians. You can read Nora's bio here.